Working with BYU
Become an Approved Experience Provider
- Determine which area of general university study best fits the internship description. (i.e. A media relations position = Communications)
- Using the Department Internship Coordinators List, select the BYU department that has programs in the chosen area of study. (i.e. the Department of Communications)
- Contact the appropriate Department Internship Coordinator with the proposed internship. (i.e. Natalie Chambers = Internship Coordinator for the Department of Communications)
- The Coordinator will determine if the internship meets the university criteria for academic internships and if it fits within the department internship curriculum so a student may receive credit. If the internship meets this criteria, the Coordinator will ask you to sign the Internship Master Agreement.
- The Department Internship Coordinator will then assist you in the process of finding an intern.
Responsibilities of Experience Providers
The Experience Provider must agree to the Internship Master Agreement or an acceptable modification thereof designed to indemnify all parties involved in the internship process (Experience Provider, University, and student). The Experience Provider must also agree to provide a quality internship while helping the student achieve his or her learning objectives and to monitor student progress by making regular reports to the faculty advisor or Department Internship Coordinator. Progress reports should include attendance as well as qualitative assessments of student learning. Most departments choose to fulfill this responsibility by having the Experience Provider evaluate the student twice during the semester.
See a flowchart of the process.