International Students' Internship Process
For international students, an internship is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students wishing to apply for CPT must complete the following steps in addition to the normal internship process:
- Student has been enrolled for at least one academic year (eight months) and is in lawful status.
- The internship must be part of the student's major (or minor if it is required for the minor).
- Student must obtain a letter from the prospective employer that includes:
- The firm/organization/company name and contact information. If this information is on the letterhead that is sufficient.
- Letter date
- Whether the internship position is part-time (less than 20 hours) or full-time (more than 20 hours). Full-time is only permitted during the student's vacation.
- Beginning date (must be in the future) and ending date.
- Nature or description of the internship
- Employer signature on letterhead
- Student should bring the letter from the employer to his or her Department Internship Coordinator and obtain a letter from the Department Internship Coordinator that includes the following:
- The firm/organization/company name
- Verification that the student's proposed internship is directly related to the student's major or is for their minor, including information supporting the idea that the internship experience correlates to the student's major or minor curriculum.
- Name of the Department Internship Coordinator.
- Complete the Internship Registration and Management System Application on the Internship Office Homepage by clicking the link to the "Student Application" under the IRAMS heading. Once your application has been approved by your coordinator and by the Internship Office you will be able to register for your internship class through Route Y.
- Enroll in the appropriate internship course for credit.
- Submit the above two letters and Request for Approval Curricular Practical Training paperwork to the International Services Office in 1351 WSC ( 422-2695), or email it in at email@example.com five days prior to the beginning date of the internship. For more information click the Curricular Practical Training Process.
- Wait for written authorization to begin the internship.
CPT Training Document
Request for Approval