What is discontinuance?
Continuing Student Deferment
Tuition Refund Chart
Discontinuance is withdrawing from ALL classes for a semester/term.
Note: Newly admitted students (new freshman, transfer, former students) who are discontinuing from the semester or term they were admitted will lose their admission status, and will need to reapply to attend a future semester. Contact the Discontinuance Counselor at D-148 ASB about being readmitted.
Continuing students who discontinue from a major semester (fall or winter) will have that semester count as a leave of absence. Students who discontinue & then leave on a mission will need to work with the Admissions Office.
Discontinuing may also have an impact on other areas of campus that require students to be enrolled in a certain number of credit hours (i.e., housing, financial aid, scholarships, the Student Health Center, employment, counseling services, computer labs, exercise facilities, etc.).
If a student wants to withdraw from some classes, but not all, they may do so online in MyMAP until the withdraw deadline. Click here for more information.
Discontinuance Before Classes Start
Students may discontinue by dropping each class or by clicking the "Drop All Classes" link on the Register page in MyMAP.
No withdraw date is posted on the transcript if all classes are dropped before the first day of the semester or term.
Discontinuance Until the Add/Drop Deadline
Students may discontinue by dropping each individual class or by clicking “Drop All Classes” on the Register page in MyMAP until the add/drop deadline.
Discontinuance on or after the first day of the semester or term will show a withdraw date on the transcript. (Only a withdraw date will be recorded on the transcript; no courses will show if classes are dropped by the add/drop deadline.)
There will be no tuition charged for classes dropped by the add/drop deadline.
Discontinuance Until the Withdraw Deadline
From the add/drop deadline until the withdraw deadline, a Request for Discontinuance form must be submitted to the Discontinuance Office. Forms can be obtained at the Discontinuance Office located in D-148 ASB or printed from the 'Discontinuance Form' link in the Quick Links box above.
Discontinuance after the add/drop deadline will show (W's) for each course on the transcript.
Discontinuance After the Withdraw Deadline
If discontinuing after the withdraw deadline, the student will need to obtain signatures from each class instructor. (At this time students are responsible for grades earned.) Each instructor will indicate an official withdrawal (W) or an academic failing withdrawal (WE).
- Pro-rata tuition charges/refunds will apply according to the date of discontinuance and the percentage outlined by the Tuition Refund Chart.
- The date the completed Request for Discontinuance form is submitted to the Discontinuance Office is counted as the effective date of discontinuance. If the form is submitted on weekends or holidays, discontinuance will be effective the next business day.
- Discontinuance during SPRING or SUMMER terms does not affect admission status for fall semester, unless spring or summer term is the first enrollment as a freshman, transfer, or former student.
- International students or students receiving multicultural financial aid must receive approval from these offices (respectively) before discontinuing.
- After the discontinuance deadline, if non-academic circumstances arise, students may work with their instructors to get an Incomplete contract. If that is not possible, students may submit a petition to the Petition Services Office (B-150 ASB).
- Students who leave the university under emergency conditions and subsequently do not return still have the responsibility to discontinue before the discontinuance deadline. If circumstances beyond the student's control hinder them from discontinuing by the deadline, the student may work with the Petitions Services Office (B-150 ASB).
- Please see the FAQ's for more important information.