Please select a star rating and/or leave comments before submitting feedback.

Thank you

Audience Type | The content on this page applies to a  Concurrent Enrollment

Brigham Young University Admissions


Transfer Credits

How to get your college credit to BYU

College credit earned from other institutions must be included in the admission application. College transcripts will be reviewed by the Transfer Evaluation Office to determine which credit will transfer to BYU, and if this credit will fulfill general education requirements.

For more information on how college credit will transfer to BYU, please read our transfer policy (below), refer to our transfer guides, or contact the Transfer Evaluation Office (801-422-8522 or with any other questions you may have.

Transfer Policy

All college transcripts will be evaluated to determine admissibility of an applicant even if any or all of that credit is not accepted for transfer. Credit transfer is established by a number of requirements, including the following:

  1. The institution must be accredited by one of the following accreditation agencies:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • New England Association of Colleges and Schools–CIHE
    • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Western Association of Colleges and Schools
  2. Credit from institutions that are candidates for accreditation but not yet awarded accreditation status will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. However, credit is generally nontransferable.
  3. Military courses are evaluated using the ACE recommendations in the upper-division baccalaureate category of the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Contact the Transfer Evaluation Office for more information.
  4. Advanced Placement will receive credit for scores of 3, 4, 5, and International Baccalaureate for scores of 5, 6, or 7. Credit will be awarded according to BYU standards. More information is available on the AP/IB Guides page.
  5. Students transferring to Brigham Young University after having earned an associate of arts or science degree at another college will, with one exception, have all of the lower-division general education requirements completed by the associate degree. The one exception is the American Heritage requirement, which can only be fulfilled by completing specific courses at the transfer college. The Advanced Written and Oral Communication, along with the Languages of Learning (advanced language or mathematics) requirements, which are considered to be upper-division requirements, may be fulfilled by completing specific courses at other colleges. Students who have questions about the completion of general education courses are invited to contact BYU Student Services at (801) 422-2507 for further information.
  6. Credit earned more than eight years before admission or readmission (including transfer credit) will be accepted to meet general education and university graduation requirements, as well as major requirements, at the discretion of the university. Courses should be applicable to BYU general education and university graduation requirements as well as to major requirements. Furthermore, transfer courses with grades below C- will not be used to fulfill BYU general education requirements and in most instances will not fulfill major requirements.
  7. The BYU Transfer Evaluation Office will determine the transferability of undergraduate credit to BYU. Once the student has been accepted for admission, notification will be sent via e-mail to the student directing them to MyMAP, where they can view the transferred courses and core requirements fulfilled. Major requirements are evaluated by the student’s major advisement center.

Full Disclosure

Failure to disclose and submit all documents required for admission, including transcripts from each institution in which the applicant has or is currently enrolled, or any falsification of information required for admission consideration, may result in immediate suspension and loss of all credit earned at BYU.

Submitting Transcripts

BYU requires official transcripts from each college a student has attended. This includes transcripts of courses taken through concurrent enrollment programs while in high school

BYU does not accept faxed college transcripts. College transcripts may be sent to BYU in the following ways: 

-Through the mail as an official transcript, including the school seal and registrar signature (hand-delivered transcripts in a sealed envelope are also acceptable if they include the school seal and registrar signature, and have not been opened)

-Electronically through Parchment Exchange, National Student Clearinghouse, or Scrip-Safe

-EDI (BYU only receives EDI from BYU Idaho)

Loading, please wait...



Return to Top